Becoming a Chartered Secretary
A Unique International Qualification
The designation Chartered Secretary is recognised in more than 70 countries. It is a designation bestowed only on members of ICSA International, an international professional association with more than 37,000 members.
Chartered Secretaries New Zealand (CSNZ), with more than 1,200 members, is the New Zealand division of ICSA International. Members of CSNZ are also members of ICSA.
Qualifying for Membership.
In applying for membership of CSNZ you are automatically applying for membership of ICSA on its New Zealand register.
Four criteria must be satisfied before you can qualify as a
Chartered Secretary and member of CSNZ.
* You must reside in New Zealand. (If you reside outside of New Zealand, you will need to contact your local Division of ICSA.)
* You must hold a degree or professional qualification approved by Chartered Secretaries New Zealand.
* You must complete our fully accredited graduate diploma course, the Professional Entry Programme. Subject exemptions are available and the specific subjects required will depend on our assessment of your previous studies.
* There are two levels of membership, Associate (ACIS) and Fellow (FCIS).
* Election as Associate requires at least six years of relevant experience.
* Fellowship is the higher level denoting greater experience and levels of responsibility. Fellowship election requires a minimum of eight years, including at least three years in a position of appropriate responsibility (CSNZ assessed).
* The period required for either level may be reduced by up to three years for equivalent periods of relevant study.
- Character and good standing
* Members are required to be of good character and to abide by the Code of Professional Ethics and Conduct .
* Character and good standing issues are normally addressed once the education and experience criteria have been satisfied.
What to do Next
Apply for entry into the Professional Entry Programme. Download the Student Handbook here.
If you would like a quick assessment of whether you are eligible for entry into the Professional Entry Programme, click here to contact us.
We will be able to tell you if your previous studies are likely to be approved for entry into the Professional Entry Programme and will send you an Education Handbook and enrolment form.
When you enrol you will need to include an academic transcript, issued by your university, confirming the award of your degree and listing the subjects you completed and your results.
When you have completed your studies you will be invited to apply for election to membership of CSNZ and, once elected, you will be entitled to use the designation Chartered Secretary and the post nominals ACIS or FCIS.
If you are not eligible for entry into the Professional Entry Programme, you may still like to be affiliated with CSNZ through our Affiliates Program .